Friday, October 19, 2007

Strat

I spent the week working on my Strat (Fender Stratocastor for those of you who don't speak guitar). My folks bought it for me a few years ago, and it has been ignored due to fear and the fact that I don't have a sweet amp to play through.
I am a keyboard player by trade. I have been forced into playing guitar because it's been tough finding musicians for Crosspoint.
I decided to take the Strat out of the case and actually use it.
I usually lead worship with my Taylor 314 CE that I bought a few years back. I was impressed with the tone that came with such a little guitar. Plugged in, it sounds even better. I also have a nice Takamine G series that I have given thought to putting a Fishman expression system in. There is also the beater 12 string that sits around in my office. Somewhere, my wife is rolling her eyes at this point, because all of this is on top of the 3 keyboards (Nord Electro II 73, Alesis Micron, Kurzweil PC 88) that I own.

I have a thing for gear.

It is not healthy.

To get the Strat where I wanted it, I had to put new tension springs on the bridge. I decided to add 2 for a total of 5. I was having trouble keeping it in tune with the standard tuners it came with, so I bought a sweet set of Fender locking tuners (for DIRT cheep). I was also afraid of dropping it on stage ('cause I'm a klutz ...), so I bought a set of strap locks.

Now the ruckus can ensue.

I am particular about tone, but short on cash. I use the BBE Sonic Stomp to fill out my over-all presence (acoustic and electric) as well as the BBE Green Screamer. A nice BOSS chorus peal (acoustic and elecric), DD6 delay, a BOSS Compression/sustain topped off with a very necessary NS-2 noise suppressor (acoustic and electric) have created a rather nice tone that I can plug direct and not worry about stage noise.





I'd still rather have a Fender Twin Reverb.
My wife rolled her eyes - again.
It is a work in progress . .

2 comments:

fuel52 said...

I'll be thinking about you in your struggle with gear aquisition disease.

Do they make locking tunerz for basses?

keytar said...

yes they do. about $20.