Thursday, November 15, 2007

Remedy

I spent the evening with my wife and a couple of friends. We bought tix to go see David Crowder in Columbia. Columbia, for those of you who may not have been there, is a hole. It's a little stinky and it takes over an hour to get there. That, coupled with the fact that I felt like I had been emotionally taken outback and worked over with a lead pipe means that I was not really all that pumped for the show. I was wrong.
We got there, and caught the end of Phil Wickham's set. Just him and an acoustic. That seems to be the bravest thing to me. Anyone can go up and be surrounded by a raucousness called a band. When it's just you and the acoustic - you'd better bring it. Derrick Webb does that well, too.
So - 20 minutes for a set change and then Crowder and the boys took to the stage. Of course, they played your favorite tunes, but they also rolled out new material from their new CD, Remedy. It is an album about no longer just serving the oppressed in mercy, but actually seeking justice for them. Very cool stuff considering where I find myself these days occupationally. David always makes the crowd feel right at home, and then politely knocks you on your butt with his insight and wisdom.
He had also rigged a controller for Guitar Hero as a midi controller and played it for a song as well as the beloved keytar. Although we usually spend Wed. evening with L & A, (and hopefully they'll invite us back after we ditched them TWICE to go see shows . . .) I needed to go see Crowder. It reminded me of why I play music and write songs.

No comments: