Friday, November 2, 2007

Speak

I am always scared spitless when someone takes it upon themselves to speak for God. I have spent the last 2 weeks working on a worship project with a guy here in the Charlotte area. He was heading a multi-cultural event for a national conference that was taking place at a large church here in the area. I was invited to play acoustic and help out. It didn't hurt that it was a paying gig, but I was not in it for the cash. If you know me, you know that the music is more important than the money - but the money is a nice addition. He promised talented musicians to round out the event, and I was excited but skeptical.
After numerous e-mails and phone conversations, we had our first rehearsal on Monday. All along this guy was telling me that he felt like God had put this thing together and that He had brought all of the musicians together. He had been praying for this to happen and our meeting was foreordained. I was guarded, but still excited. I had invited a drummer friend of mine along as well as a lead guitar player that I know.
The first rehearsal was awful. No charts were provided. We barely had time to listen to the music. It was tough. I was supposed to be in leadership, but there were 4 people giving orders, and there was no room for suggestions.
I didn't want to be a jerk, but I made a push for us to get the tunes charted. All of the guys wanted charts. I e-mailed the coordinator and made a plea for all of us to get some music in front of us or run the risk of being a part of a tremendous rain wreck. I guess it was too much work - or maybe professionals don't need charts. whatever . . .
I guess God changed His mind today. My friends and I were dumped from the project. Maybe it's so we don't go down in flames. Maybe that guy didn't know what the heck he was doing and we all got taken for a ride.

No comments: